Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's in a Name?

Names are very important to me.  Kevin and I chose the name Levi for several reasons, but the meaning of his name is the biggest reason I liked the name.  It means joined or combined.  Levi's middle name is very special as well, as it is my grandfather's middle name and my great-grandfather's first name.  Even though my poppa passed away about 18 months before Levi's arrival, Levi will hear of him often so that he might understand the strong character that his middle name brings.  

I have read in several places about the importance of speaking an infant's name often.  Yet, Levi's daddy loves to call Levi little nicknames: Poot, Little Poot, L.P. (for Little Poot, not Levi's initials), Punkin, Squirt, Scooter.  Poot, though, is Kevin's favorite nickname for Levi.  *sigh*  I have never been a big fan of nicknames, and I can honestly say that Poot doesn't make me like them more...

Tonight, I was talking on the phone with my mom and dad and said Levi's name.  Levi was playing with his Ocean Wonders gym, and it was like he stopped playing to look at me when I said his name - I promise!!  Hopefully all those nicknames really haven't (and won't) confuse him.  How horrible if he thought his name really was Poot!!

No comments: