Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Dentist

Levi's past couple of trips to the dentist have not given anyone the idea that he is a stellar patient.  Typically it is Daddy who gets to witness this.  So imagine my delight when I called the dentist office on Tuesday to determine when his next appointment was scheduled only to find out that we missed it last week and that it could be rescheduled for the 10th (today).  

Since the weather was supposed to be rainy today and since today was Kevin's first long day of school, I decided that I didn't want to take Levi and KJ to school and pick them up today with Liza, in the rain, alone.  So, we had a fun day just the four of us - which also gave me and Levi plenty of time to talk about the dentist.  I reminded him that I needed him to be a good example for Kara Jane and Liza.  We talked about how God is with us when we're afraid.  His verse for this week lined up perfectly with the day: Isaiah 41:10 "Do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you and help you and uphold you with my righteous right hand."  We also came up with the things he would lose if he misbehaved at the dentist (the Mario shirt he wanted to wear, five pennies from his good behavior jar, the Wii for the afternoon) and the things he would earn if he behaved. 

When we first got there, I was a bit concerned.  He buried his head in my side.  He wouldn't talk to the hygienist.  In general, he acted very shy.  Then, I told him that it was his last opportunity to show the girls - his sisters - how to behave or I would have to leave; he turned a corner.  He opened his mouth, she cleaned his teeth.  He waited patiently until the dentist arrived.  Levi again opened his mouth and let the dentist check his teeth.

So, what was the change, you ask?  My incredible mothering skills?  Yes, that's it! ;-)

Just pay no attention to the remnants of chocolate donut on his cheeks.
Or the remnants of glazed donut on his sister's cheek.

Yes, that's right.  My incredible mothering skills included bribing my son with a chocolate glazed donut.  Don't mess with success!! ;-)

At dinner, he asked me, "Do you know why I started out badly at the dentist?"  I said, "Why is that?"  He said, "I was a little bit sleepy."

A few firsts to note:  Today was my first day to take all three kids anywhere by myself - and the trip included two stops - the dentist and the donut shop.  Actually, today is the first day that all three kids have gone anywhere together.  Today was also the first day I've been behind the wheel of a vehicle since Liza was born - thank you flu!

1 comment:

Kathy Rains said...

Of course, you could do it! I am amazed at how well you are handling all this! So proud of you and so proud that the dentist appointment went so well. You are amazing!