Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Not So Fast

After Friday's visit to the doctor, we were hoping to be out of the woods with Levi's sickness. We weren't quite so lucky.

I received a call from Levi's school on my way to pick him up Monday afternoon. The school director told me that Levi took a 4-hour nap (a "long" nap for Levi is usually 1-hour!!) and sounded like he was wheezing. I picked up Levi, and off we went to the doctor. Kevin met us there, and the doctor quickly informed us that Levi does indeed have bronchiolitis. The nurse set us up with a nebulizer (breathing machine) in the office, and Levi received his first breathing treatment. The doctor listened to Levi's chest again. Satisfied that Levi sounded slightly better, he sent us home with our own breathing machine (to keep "forever and always") and a prescription for the medicine to put in the machine with instructions to give Levi a treatment every 3 hours throughout the night and to bring him back for a check up on Tuesday morning.

So, last night, I woke every 3 hours to give my baby a breathing treatment. He took them like a champ. He actually somewhat slept through two of them. His sleep overall was fitful, waking several times because of his coughing, but it was not nearly as bad as I had feared. He slept "late" until almost 7:30 this morning. (Levi is typically an early-riser like his mama.) Levi and I made it to the doctor for his 9:00 appointment, and the doctor said that Levi sounds much better. He gave us instructions for continuing the breathing treatment until our appointment next Friday. He also warned me that because Levi has had bronchiolitis, he now has a predisposition for asthma "later in life" (as in 12-18 months from now).

Side Note: The receipt of the call from Levi's school is in and of itself a miracle. It is safe to say that the plant where I work is in THE middle of nowhere. Typically, I have at least a 13 mile stretch of my trip on which my cell phone does not work - i.e. NO bars. I was on that long stretch of road, when I heard my cell phone ringing. Not only was I able to receive this call to talk to the school director, I was also able to call the doctor to set up an emergency appointment for Levi that afternoon. I know that this might seem silly to some of you, but I see these phone calls as miracles. God really does care about the "little things".

What I find most amazing, though, is how much better Levi sounded this morning. God truly does hear and answer our prayers and petitions.

If I may be so bold to request your continued prayers for Levi's health, particularly that he will continue to breathe more and more easily and that he does not develop asthma.

2 comments:

5308 6th said...

Poor Levi!! I'm glad you were able to get him in to see the dr. so quickly. That is a miracle. Hopefully, he'll feel better very soon!

Anonymous said...

Well, sadly, we have the nebulizer too, and I did not want this to be the case for you. Ours looks like a penguin - how about yours? I hope the same birthday does not mean the same in illnesses too! Sigh! I know what a relief it is to hear him breathing better however! I have indeed walked this path. I totally freak out every time E gets sick now, so maybe you will be more calm than I am. Praying for Levi.