Thursday, September 4, 2008

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho...

I work at a nuclear power plant. There are strict rules and regulations for everything - including returning to work after extended leave. Considering I have been away from the plant for eight weeks, I qualify for "extended leave". One of the items that must be completed prior to returning to work officially is an FFD (Fitness for Duty). In other words breathalyzer and urine tests.

When the nurse called yesterday to set up a time for me to have an FFD, she asked if I was going to bring Levi with me. Well, I had never really thought about taking Levi out there, but when she mentioned it, I thought, "Why not?" Kevin was agreeable; so Thursday morning, Levi and I went to the plant. Levi met the Vice President and several managers and supervisors of the plant. Levi also had the pleasure of meeting several of my friends from the plant; a couple of them watched him for over an hour while I waited to do my FFD (thank you!!). Levi had a great time!! Well, he actually slept through most of his visit, but it was really nice to take him with me. I started thinking that maybe it will help my transition back to work... Yeah, right!

Yep, my maternity leave is almost up. I head back to work on Monday; Levi will be 8 weeks old. Truth be told, I am absolutely dreading going back to work. However, I am blessed in that the company agreed to let me work part-time: three days a week, 8 hours a day. The unfortunate part is that the drive to the plant takes about an hour one way, so a "day" is really 10 hours. The plant was also good enough to set up a "lactation area" for me, so that I can pump at work and store the milk until I head for home. Levi and I got to check it out during our visit to the plant. While nothing special, it will work. Especially since the purpose of the area for me is that Levi will still get breast milk, and I am very glad about that.

Levi still has not received a bottle. We plan to introduce that to him Friday - and give him at least one every day this weekend. I have been hesitant to give him one, just because I have this fear that he will prefer the bottle over me. I've been told that that rarely happens, but I just have that fear. Regardless of his preference, though, I do have to return to work, so he does have to get a bottle. If he decides he likes the bottle better, I at least can pump and still provide milk for him. I absolutely love being home with Levi. I am going to miss him terribly when I am away.

No comments: